Англійська мова 6 клас - Несвіт Алла
Unite 7. Ukraine. Kyiv
1. Look and say what you can see in these places.
There are many museums in Kyiv. My favourite place to go is the Museum of Zoology. I can see lots of animals there.
a museum / the Museum a theatre / the National Opera
a cinema a square
2. Read and complete the text with the sentences (A-D) on page 139.
The capital of Ukraine is Kyiv. It is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. (1)............ …More than three million people live there.
The streets of Kyiv are beautiful. They are lined with chestnut trees, lime trees and poplars. (2) …Kyiv is the political, economic, scientific, industrial and cultural centre of Ukraine. It has a lot of museums, art galleries, concert halls, theatres and cinemas. (3)… Kyiv is also famous for its attractive parks. The city has a well-developed transport system. (4)…............................... There is also an underground, a railway station, an airport and a river port.
A The chestnut tree is a symbol of Kyiv.
В Many buses, minibuses, trolley-buses, trams and cars carry passengers around the city.
С Kyiv is located on the picturesque banks of the Dnipro River.
D They are very popular with tourists.
3. Work in pairs. Take turns to ask and answer the questions about Kyiv.
1. Where is Kyiv?
2. How many people live in the capital city?
3. Are the streets of Kyiv wide or narrow? What are they lined with?
4. What sights can people see in Kyiv?
5. Does Kyiv have a well-developed transport system or not?
6. How can you travel around the city?
4. Play a guessing game. Work in groups. Group A chooses a word from the text in Ex. 2 and explains it. Group В looks through the text and guesses which word it is.
Group A: This is a kind of a tree. It is a symbol of Kyiv. The streets of the capital are lined with them.
Group B: It’s a chestnut tree.
5. Listen, read and act out the dialogue.
Ann: Hi, Kim! I haven’t seen you for ages. How are you?
Kim: Hi, Ann! I’m fine. And what about you?
Ann: Just fine. Where are you going?
Kim: To the theatre. Will you come with me? The performance starts at one o’clock.
Ann: I’d love to, but I’m afraid I can’t. I haven’t seen my granny for about a month. We are going to visit her today.
Kim: Bye, then. Say “hi” to your granny for me. See you on Monday! Ann: Bye-bye, Kim! Have fun!
6. Write the words in the correct order to make sentences.
and / nice I of I streets / wide / Kyiv / The / are / . -
The streets of Kyiv are wide and nice.
1. famous / is / Kyiv / its / parks / for / attractive / .
2. year / visit / Kyiv / people / every / A lot of / .
3. has / transport / city / well-developed / The / a / system / .
4. are / many / galleries / Kyiv / in / art / There / .
5. proud / capital / Ukrainians / of / are / their / .