Підручник Англійська мова 7 клас (3-й рік навчання) - Л.І. Морська - Богдан 2015 рік
Unit 2 SPORTS AND GAMES
1. Listen and read the dialogue. Act it out with your partner and then make up a similar one.
Linda: Did you see the Figure skating World Championship yesterday? Brenda. Yes, I did. It was quite interesting.
Linda: Was it? I didn’t like the performances ([pə'fɔ:m(ə)ns] — виступ, виконання) of our figure skaters. They were too tired to skate well. Brenda: Well, but the Russian sportsmen weren’t much better. They often fell on the ice in the jumps or failed ([feild] — провалитися у спробі, не справитися) to perform them at all.
Linda: Yes, I agree with you. The French figure skaters were the best, to my mind (на мою думку).
Brenda: I liked the Germans best of all.
2. Read the tongue twisters as quickly as you can.
• Can you imagine an imaginary menagerie manager managing an imaginary menagerie?
• While we were walking, we were watching window washers wash Washington’s windows with warm washing water.
• I can think of six thin things and of six thick things too.
• A pleasant place to place a plaice is a place where a plaice is pleased to be placed.
• We surely shall see the sunshine soon.
3. Complete the sentences with as… as, not as…as and the appropriate form of the adjectives in brackets.
Model: Jack is strong. He can beat Fred in boxing. Nick can beat Fred too. Jack is as strong (strong) as Nick.
Jack is strong, but he can’t beat Fred in boxing. — Jack is not as strong (strong) gs Fred.
1. Steve can run 100 metres in 16 seconds. Jack runs this distance in 15 seconds. Steve is … (quick)… Jack.
2. Last season Manchester United won 7 games, and played three games in a draw. Liverpool won 8 games and lost 2 games. Liverpool played … (good)… Manchester United last season.
3. Bred can jump 1m high. But David jumps 10 cm higher than Bred. Bred jumps … (high)… David does.
4. Match the pictures with the words.
5. Listen and read the advertisement of «Bella’s Better Body Club». Which activities would you like to join? Why? Why not? Use the model.
Bella’s Better Body Club: offers you five activities to make you feel good
Anne’s Aerobics. Do you feel fat? Do you feel tired at the end of the day? You should come to one of Anne’s aerobics classes!
Anne has got classes for everyone — young or old, male or female, fit or unfit.
Karate. Karate will help to make your mind and your body clean and fit! Roger Pugh lived in Japan for three years, and studied karate with great masters of the art. Come to his classes, and see what karate can do for you!
Jazz dance. The musical way to keep fit! It’s fun, it’s friendly, and it’s good for you. If you want to look good at discos, you should try jazz dance!
Body building. If you want muscles, come to Body Building. Our coaches Dave Widlake and Trisha Stone can help you choose the right exercise for you. Our gym is open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday to Saturday. Mondays and Fridays are for men only; Wednesdays and Thursdays, women only. Dave or Trisha is in the gym from 3 to 7 p.m. Come and talk to them.
Squash. Our courts are the best in town. Our opening hours are the best, too — 10 a.m. to 10:30 p.m., seven days a week! If you want to improve your squash, English champion Bob Pitchard is for you.
Model: I’d like to join an aerobics class, because it can make me feel fresh at the end of the day.
I’d like to join a karate class, because it can make me feel fit and healthy.
I wouldn’t like to join a body building class, because it’s a very tiring activity/
6. Say whether the statements are true or false.
1. Jazz dance class teacher at Bella’s Better Body Club is Roger Pugh.
2. Body building gym is open for visitors every day except Sunday.
3. Squash courts are very good at Bella’s Better Body Club.
4. Karate teachers are the great masters from Japan.
5. Squash courts have no days off. They are usually closed after 11 p.m.
6. Body building coach Bob Pitchard can help you choose the right exercise for you.
7. Karate teacher’s name is Anne Roger.
8. Anne hasn’t got aerobics classes for men.
9. Karate classes are good for dancing.
7. Listen and read the dialogue. Act it out with your partner and then make up a similar one.
Andy: Where’s Steve today? Is he at his cycling practice?
Bill: No, he’s got a new hobby — roller skating.
Andy: That’s interesting. Is he good at it?
Bill: I don’t think so. But he enjoys it greatly.
Andy: Is that Steve on his roller skates?
Bill: Yes, that’s him. I hope he is OK.
Andy: Is he?!
8. Complete the sentences with Past Simple by using the verbs below.
1. Chris hurt his finger last night. He … it with a knife. 2. When I introduced Tom to Ryan, they … hands and smiled to each other. 3. Alice called the police yesterday because someone … her bicycle while she was in the library. 4. Jessica didn’t throw her old shoes away. She … them because they were nice. 5. I … an interesting story in the newspaper yesterday. 6. Dick … his flat this morning because he was late for school. That’s why he … to bring his books to class. 7. The children … pictures in class yesterday. 8. Last night I … a new song on the radio so I went to the shop and … the CD. 9. My sister… a bad dream last night. 10. I’ve got a cold. Yesterday I … terrible, but I feel better today.