Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - М.О. Кучма - Богдан 2017 рік
Unit 1 AUTOBIOGRAPHY
Lesson 16 Autobiography
1. Work in pairs. Ask and answer the questions using the given words.
Model: A: Why are you hungry? Because you are very busy, aren’t you?
B: Right. I am very busy and I haven’t eaten all day.
1. why/be/hungry? not/eat/all day
2. why/be/upset? just fail/driving test
3. why look happy? just book a holiday
4. why look worried? just hear/some bad news
5. why/look/relaxed? listen/classical music
2. Complete the sentences about your childhood.
1. My earliest memories, as a child, were
2. My happiest moments, as a child, were_
3. My favourite toy was ______
4. My most memorable babysitter was_____
5. My first bike was______
6. When I grew up I wanted to be______
3. Work in groups of four. Discuss the statements given below.
1. «I wanted to be independent, but I find it’s better to be independent at home.»
2. Some teenagers use the house like a hotel, with all services. They treat parents as moneybags and then ignore them or just insult them.
3. Well-educated, middle-class young adults are not leaving home. They find it just easier and cheaper to stay in the family nest.
4. Work in pairs. Talk about your cultural background. Use the information from your plan (Lesson 8). Consult the Maps 1 and 2 (Lesson 3).
Model: A: Have your parents ever been hard on you?
B: No, I try not to hurt or argue with my parents. I love and respect them. And you?
A: Oh, I am sometimes bored, sometimes disobedient and rude. So, my father has to be firm.
B: Are any customs or traditions kept in your family?
A: Yes, I love our family reunions, the day when all relatives from towns, villages and even foreign countries arrive and we have a great garden party. We grill meat, cook exotic and tasty dishes, make fire and then play outdoor games. It’s really fun! And how about your family?
B: You see, my grandgrandfather was a sailor. He lost his life during the World War II. It’s a ritual for our family to go to the church and then lay flowers at war memorial on Remembrance Day.
5. Write down your autobiography.
SELF-ASSESSMENT MODULE 1
1. Fill in the vowels and write down the words.
Vnt, tbgrph, rcllct, ncld, cstms, ncstr, chldhd.
2. Correct mistakes in the sentences.
1. An autobiography is an account of one’s life, isn’t they?
2. Her favourite subject was Mathematics, didn’t it?
3. He brought up in a poor family, doesn’t he?
4. They have ridden bikes, hasn’t they?
3. Write five sentences about your childhood.
1. Match the words with their definitions.
1. bring up
a) a group of people who come to watch and listen to someone speaking or performing in public
b) to look after and influence a child until he or she is grown up
c) to encourage someone by making them feel confident and eager to do something
d) to like someone or something more than someone or something else
e) a member of your family who lived a long time ago
f) to be able to remember something
2. Choose and write down the correct item.
1. The boy learned a good lesson,____ ?
a) did the boy
b) didn’t the boy
c) didn’t he
2. He often takes resolutions,_____ ?
a) don’t he
b) doesn’t he
c) do he
3. You are writing your autobiography,__ ?
a) isn’t you
b) don’t you
c) aren’t you
4. She has recollected her childhood,____ ?
a) doesn’t she
b) hasn’t she
c) didn’t she
3. Write five questions to ask your classmate about the events that taught him/her something important.
1. Write down as many words and word combinations as you can under each heading.
2. Complete the sentences with the question tags.
1. Young adults find it cheaper to live with parents, ?
2. He missed the lively atmosphere, ____ ?
3. They have treated parents as moneybags, _____?
4. Young people want to be independent,_ ?
5. My cousins are still playing those games,_ ?
3. Write 10 sentences about your cultural background.
4. Translate the English sentences into German/French.
1. I started school when I was 6 years old.
2. We used to play basketball.
3. It’s sometimes useful to recollect your past.
Assess your progress in this unit. Tick (✓) the statements which are true.
I can give information on my childhood.
I can give information on my cultural background.
I can give information on my family background.
I can write my autobiography.
I can understand and use Tag Questions (Simple Tenses) in spoken and written forms.
I can understand and use Tag Questions (Continuous Tenses) in spoken and written forms.
I can understand and use Tag Questions (Perfect Tenses) in spoken and written forms.
I can use prepositions of time by, before and after in spoken and written forms.