Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - М.О. Кучма - Богдан 2017 рік
Unit 2 CINEMA AND THEATRE
Lesson 25 Role of Cinema and Theatre
1. Work in pairs. Make up and role-play the dialogues. Use phrases given below.
1. Let’s go to the cinema.
2. What’s on at the cinema?
3. Two tickets for 7 p.m. show, please.
4. This film was the season’s hit.
5. This film is a great success.
6. How did you like the film?
7. Who produced the film?
8. Who stars in the film?
2. Work in small groups. Discuss the following statements.
1. Violence should not be shown on the screen.
2. The success of a film depends on the film director.
3. Cinema and theatre are just entertainment.
4. Films and performances develop people’s cultural level and taste.
3. Make up and write down a story ending in the following proverb:
«A friend in need is a friend indeed.»
4. Read the following dialogue. Pay attention to the use of can and may.
A nephew: Can I smoke in your living room, Aunt?
An aunt: You can, Charles, but you may not.
5. Complete the sentences below with can/could or may/might.
1. _________I come in? — Please, do. 2. I __________ remember the address. — _______ you even remember the street? 3. He _________________answer the teacher’s questions yesterday, but he ________ not answer the same questions today. 4. When ____I first went to Spain I read Spanish but I _____________speak it. 5. He said _________that we ________ use his flat whenever we liked. 6. _______________ I borrow your umbrella? 7. _________I smoke here? — No, you ________________not.
6. Agree or disagree with the following statement. Give your reasons. Write approximately 10 sentences.
People nowadays prefer going to the cinema to going to the theatre.
SELF-ASSESSMENT MODULE 2
1. Find and write down 7 words on the topic «Cinema and Theatre».
2. Choose the correct item.
1. I __________to see that performance.
2. When I was a child, I _______ go to the cinema myself.
3. During the performance you _________be quiet.
4. His characters_________ solve problems.
3. Write five sentences about your visit to the cinema or theatre.
1. Choose the odd-word-out.
1. curtain, stage, scenery, film
2. box, award, pit, dress-circle
3. audience, actor, playwright, prompter
2. Choose the correct item.
1. You___________see this film. It’s worth seeing.
2. We __________ be late for the performance. There’s a traffic jam on the road.
c) ought to
3. If you don’t have much money, you____ get tickets for the gallery.
4. I think first we ___________ look through the billboard to find out what is on.
3. Make up and write down a dialogue discussing your favourite film or performance.
1. Write down as many words and word combinations as you can under each heading.
2. Make up and write down three sentences using can/could, may/might, or should/ought to.
3. Write ten sentences about different types of films.
Assess your progress in this unit. Tick (✓) the statements which are true.
I can use basic vocabulary to talk about cinema and theatre.
I know different types of films and can describe impressions they make on me.
I can write a film review.
I can give a brief outline of a film.
I can tell about my favourite film/performance.
I can ask for personal views, express likes/dislikes, indifference.
I can give my own opinion about the role of cinema and theatre.
I can understand and use modal verbs can/could.
I can understand and use modal verbs may/might.
I can understand and use modal verbs should/ought to.