Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - М.О. Кучма - Богдан 2017 рік
Unit 3 LITERATURE
Lesson 32 Taras Shevchenko
1. Add tags to the sentences given below.
1. This fascinating book has shown Apollo trip to the moon. 2. The author discovers how visiting another world has changed them. 3. The novel has enriched her spiritually. 4. This thriller has refreshed his thoughts. 5. They have read an instructive book.
2. Tell your class what you already know about Taras Shevchenko.
3. Read about T. Shevchenko.
Taras Shevchenko was born to a serf family in the village of Kyrylivka. He was a great poet and a superb artist.
All children like to paint, but with young Taras it was a passion. The boy was taken into the manor’s house as a kozachok. When he was 14 years old, his master took him to Vilno (Vilnius). Later Taras found himself in a beautiful city St. Petersburg. He learned misery there, but he was lucky. The great artist K. Briulov bought out the young serf from his master. Shevchenko was admitted to the Academy of Arts. Notable paintings include «In Kyiv», «Fire in the Steppes» and others.
Taras Shevchenko also wrote poems in Ukrainian. In 1840 he published his first book of poems «Kobzar».
4. Work in pairs. Take turns to ask and answer the questions.
1. When and where was Taras Shevchenko born?
2. His family was poor, wasn’t it?
3. What was the boy’s passion?
4. Did the boy have to work hard in manor’s house? Why do you think so?
5. Where did his master take him when he was 14 years old?
6. In which town did he learn misery again?
7. Who bought Taras Shevchenko out?
8. Shevchenko was admitted to the Academy of Arts, wasn’t he?
9. Can you name some of his paintings?
10. What is the title of T Shevchenko’s first book of poems?
11. When was it published?
5. Complete the conversations and role-play them with your classmate.
1. A: Have you seen any paintings by Taras Shevchenko?
2. A: Have you read any works by Taras Shevchenko?
3. A: Why has everybody read T Shevchenko’s poems?
4. A: Have you already discussed «Kobzar» by T Shevchenko in your class?
6. Fill in the blanks with some or any.
1. The little boy has______ toys.
2. Are there________ cucumbers and tomatoes in the fridge?
3. There isn’t_______ milk in the fridge.
4. There aren’t________ books on the table.
5. Have you got relatives in Donetsk?
6. I’ve read ________novels by Dickens.
7. I’ve seen ___________ interesting films.
8. Have you got ________ sisters or brothers?
9. There are_______ windows in the class.
7. Make a library research. Find some interesting information about Taras Shevchenko and present it to class.