Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - М.О. Кучма - Богдан 2017 рік
Lesson 4 Weather. Nature
1. Complete the sentences with the words from the box.
1. Mike: Haven’t you cleaned your room …?
Chris: You’ve … asked me that three times today.
2. They have been married … 15 years.
3. I haven’t seen them … June.
2. Write the following sentences in the Present Perfect.
1. They will spend a lot of money on the tour.
2. I am trying on a new pair of jeans.
3. She visits Poland every year.
4. He saw a lot of amusing films.
3. Read two weather reports. Talk with your classmate about the damage after the storm.
Model: — Have you heard what happened in Southampton?
— Oh, it’s terrible! Hundreds of roofs were damaged!
This is David Smeeton in Southampton. In the southern region it’s been a day of assessing the damage to hundreds of roofs, many of them torn completely off, while some homes are partially collapsed. Overnight scores of people were looked after in emergency centres.
And finally this is Andrew Roberts with a look at how the storms have affected the capital. Two people were killed as winds of 94 miles an hour — the highest ever recorded — gusted across London. In Croydon a motorist died when his car was crushed by a falling tree.
4. Divide the words and word combinations into four groups: summer, autumn, winter, spring and describe each season.
gloomy, hot, stormy, snowy, sunshine, lightning, cloudless sky, bright, dark sky, sunny, cloudy, blue sky, foggy, rainy, overcast, thunderstorm, flash flooding, torrential rain / pour cats and dogs, to overwhelm, frosty, nasty, hurricane, thunder, thaw, gusty winds, severe weather, violent storm, hail, boiling hot, warm, cool, chilly, cold, freezing cold
5. Work in pairs. Listen to the dialogue and role-play it. Make up a similar one.
A: Why don’t we go to Switzerland?
B: It’s a very long way. Besides it’s often very cold and slippery at this time of the year. It may snow heavily.
A: Well, yes… it may… but I don’t think it will.
B: We may not be able to find a hotel. They may be closed.
A: Oh, that’s no problem. I can book a hotel by phone.
B: Well, perhaps it’s not a bad idea. Let’s watch the weather forecast on television.
6. Look at the photos. Name the endangered animals. Discuss in small groups what you can do to preserve them. Use the words and word combinations given below.
(Polar, spectacled, sloth, sun) bears, giant pandas, whales, tigers.
1. Safeguard the environment (not destroy forests, plant more trees).
2. Protect endangered animals.
3. Fine people who kill endangered animals.
Add your ideas.
7. Write some sentences about how you usually spend your time in different weather.