Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - М.О. Кучма - Богдан 2017 рік
Unit 5 SIGHTS OF GREAT BRITAIN
Lesson 49 The Houses of Parliament
1. Write the figures in words.
1. We drove about 100 miles.
2. He wants £999 for the car.
3. «What’s the population of your village?» «Oh 1000, I suppose.»
4. (on a cheque) Pay £844 only.
2. Listen, read and remember the words and word combination.
3. Read about the Houses of Parliament.
THE HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT
The Houses of Parliament, otherwise known as the Palace of Westminster, stands on the site where Edward the Confessor had built the original palace in the first half of the eleventh century. The palace has more than 1000 rooms. In 1547 A.D., the royal residence was moved to Whitehall Palace, but the Lords continued to meet at Westminster, while the Commons met in St. Stephen’s Chapel. Ever since these early times, the Palace of Westminster has been home to the English Parliament. When Parliament is sitting, the national flag fields from Victoria Tower and the light shines by night.
4. Complete the sentences.
1. The Palace of Westminster stands on the site… 2. Edward’s original palace was built in… 3. The royal residence was moved to Whitehall Palace in… 4. The Lords met at … , while the Commons… 5. The Palace of Westminster is home to…
5. Answer the questions.
1. What is another name for the Houses of Parliament?
2. The royal residence was moved to Whitehall Palace, wasn’t it?
3. From what times has the Palace of Westminster been home to the English Parliament?
4. When was the Westminster Palace built?
5. How is the name of the Houses of Parliament connected with the name of Edward the Confessor?
6. Imagine that you are on a trip to London. Write a postcard to your parents. There is a model to help you.
7. Look at the photos and write 6-8 sentences to describe each of them.