Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - М.О. Кучма - Богдан 2017 рік
Unit 5 SIGHTS OF GREAT BRITAIN
Lesson 50 The British Museum
1. Listen, read and remember the words and word combination.
2. Find, read and write down the words.
3. Explain in English:
preserve, establish, dedicate, collection, illustrate, manuscript, ancient, modern.
4. Read about the British Museum.
The British Museum is dedicated to human history, art and culture, and is located in the Bloomsbury district of London. Its permanent collection, numbering some 8 million works, originates from all continents, illustrating and documenting the story of human culture from its beginning to the present.
The British Museum was established in 1753.
Today the museum no longer houses collections of natural history, books and manuscripts. The Museum nevertheless preserves its collections of artifacts, representing the cultures of the world, ancient and modern.
5. Fill in the gaps with the words from the box.
1. The British Museum is dedicated to_____ and __________.
2. Its ____ numbers 8 million works.
3. Today the museum no longer houses the books and __________ .
4. The museum represents the______ and modern cultures of the world.
6. Make the following sentences interrogative. Then take turns to ask and answer your questions.
1. The British Museum is dedicated to human history. (To what ________ ?)
2. The British Museum is located in the Bloomsbury area of London. (Where _______?)
3. Its permanent collection numbers some 8 million works. (How many ?)
4. The British Museum was established in 1753. (When ________ ?)
5. Its collection illustrates and documents the story of human culture. (What ______ its collection ____ ?)
7. Use either as … as or not as … as in the sentences below.
1. The weather this summer is______ last year. (bad)
2. It’s ________ I thought it would be, actually. (not/heavy)
3. These new shoes are ________ my old ones. (not/comfortable)
4. Ben Nevis is ______ Mont Blanc (not/high).
5. London is _______ Berlin. (interesting)
8. Compare two things using as/so … as. museum / art gallery
castle / monastery
church / cathedral
exhibition / fair
square / yard
parliament / government
9. Find additional information on the Internet or any other source and tell about the British Museum.