Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - М.О. Кучма - Богдан 2017 рік
Unit 6 SIGHTS OF UKRAINE
Lesson 57 Lviv High Castle
1. Listen, read and remember the words.
2. Match the pictures to the words in exercise 1.
3. Write a short story with the words from exercise 1. You may start like this:
Once my family went hiking. We had been walking the whole day. We were very tired and decided to look for a place to stay, when we looked around…
4. Read about Lviv High Castle.
Lviv High Castle is a historic castle located on the top of the Castle Hill of the city of Lviv. It is currently the highest point in the city, 413 metres above the sea level.
The castle was the main defensive fort of the city.
The first fortifying structures were built from wood and soil. In 1259 they were destroyed, but in 1270 were rebuilt. In 1340, when Lviv was captured by Casimir III, the wooden castle was set on fire. In 1353, it was destroyed again by the Lithuanians. A new brick castle appeared on the hill in 1362. It became the residence of Polish nobles.
In the 19th century, the destroyed castle was taken apart and new items were built in its place. The fortification was strengthened, the trees were planted on the hill’s slope, and the park was constructed.
The castle currently stands in ruins.
5. Study the box of dates. Write 5 sentences describing the events connected with these dates.
6. Look at the pictures. Match them with your sentences from exercise 5.
7. a) Make a library research. Find some interesting facts about Lviv High Castle.
b) Imagine that you are a guide. Tell your group of tourists about Lviv High Castle.