Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - М.О. Кучма - Богдан 2017 рік
Unit 6 SIGHTS OF UKRAINE
Lesson 62 Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra
1. Listen, read and remember the words and word combinations.
2. Read about Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra.
Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra is much more than just an ancient monastery. For many centuries it was truly the spiritual centre of Ukraine. Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra is famous for housing the mummified remains of monks within its underground caves. For many years the Monastery functioned only as a museum. A revival of spirituality has begun with monks returning to the Lavra.
3. Put the sentences in the order you’ve read them in the text.
1. Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra is famous for housing the mummified remains of monks.
2. The Monastery functioned only as a museum.
3. For many centuries it was truly the spiritual centre of Ukraine.
4. A revival of spirituality began when monks returned to the Lavra.
5. Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra is an ancient monastery.
6. There are underground caves in Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra.
4. Choose the correct item.
1. For many centuries Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra was … .
a) the spiritual centre of Ukraine
b) an ancient monastery
c) a museum
2. Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra is famous for … .
b) housing the mummified remains of monks
c) returning monks
3. In Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra there are … .
a) underground caves
b) ancient monasteries
5. Ask questions to the sentences.
1. The Cathedral is a part of St. Sophia’s Monastery.
2. It was built in 1037 A.D.
3. St. Sophia’s Cathedral was built by Prince Yaroslav the Wise.
4. It was built to commemorate the victory over the Pechenegs.
5. St. Sophia’s Cathedral was built to glorify Christianity.
6. The church became a holy place of worship.
7. Today, St. Sophia’s Cathedral is a museum.
6. Name the word that corresponds to the figure.
7. Find the additional information about St. Sophia’s Cathedral and Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra and present it to your class.