Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - М.О. Кучма - Богдан 2017 рік
Unit 7 SCHOOL SUBJECTS
Lesson 69 Chemistry
Chemistry is the study of matter and energy and the interaction between them. Chemistry is everywhere in the world around you. It’s in the food you eat, clothes you wear, water you drink, medicines, air, cleaners…
1. Say which items in the photos you/your teacher use(s) at Chemistry lessons.
2. Give three reasons why the use of the items above makes Chemistry lessons more interesting.
3. Listen, read and remember the words and word combination.
4. Match the pictures with the words from exercise 3.
5. Read about the importance of Chemistry. Complete the sentences after the text.
REASONS TO STUDY CHEMISTRY
• Chemistry helps you to understand the world around you: why leaves change colour in the autumn; why plants are green; how cheese is made; what is in soap and how it cleans.
• A basic understanding of chemistry helps you read and understand product labels.
• A command of chemistry can help keep you safe! You know which household chemicals are dangerous to keep together or mix and which can be used safely.
• Chemistry helps you understand current events, including news about petroleum, pollution, the environment and technological advances.
• Chemistry explains how things work.
• Chemistry is fun! There are lots of interesting chemistry projects you can do. They don’t just go boom. They can glow in the dark, change colours, produce bubbles and change states. Fireworks and explosions are based on chemistry.
• Chemistry explains how food changes as you cook it, how to preserve food, how your body uses the food you eat, and how ingredients interact to make food.
• We use chemicals every day and perform chemical reactions without thinking much about them. Even your body is made of chemicals. Chemical reactions occur when you breathe, eat, or just sit.
1. Chemistry projects can glow in the dark__
2. Chemistry explains______ , how to preserve food __________.
3. Chemistry helps understand news about ___________.
4. Chemistry helps understand, why plants are green _______.
6. Give five reasons why we should study Chemistry.
7. Is Chemistry your favourite subject? Why/Why not? Write approximately 10 sentences.