Підручник Англійська мова (9-й рік навчання) - Алла Несвіт - Генеза 2017 рік
Unit 3 Environment and Greener Living
Lesson 8. Are You Green?
a) Look at the picture and say what electric appliances people use in this house.
b) Listen and read the poem. Say which of the mentioned electric appliances you have got in your house/flat. How often do you use them? Do you think you can deal without them nowadays?
The Electronic House
kettle. grill. ohm,
By Wes Magee
Molly: Steve, you’d better switch off the TV, I think. I’m working on the computer, and I cannot concentrate on my work. It would be better to switch off the upper light, too. There’s no need in it.
Steve: Molly, I don’t understand you. Why are you so worried about electricity? I hope our parents will be able to pay the bills. Electricity isn’t so expensive, I believe.
Molly: It is not the question of money, Steve. It’s the question of saving energy. If all people use so much electricity every day, the energy resources of our planet will soon be exhausted. Besides, uncontrolled use of energy around the world harms the environment.
Mother: (coming into the room) What’s this all about? Are you arguing for any reason? What’s the matter, dear?
Steve: No, we aren’t. We’re just talking, Mum. Molly says that we use too much electricity at home, and we’d better switch off everything, but her computer!
Molly: I didn’t say that! I say, Mum, all the electric appliances are being used in our flat at the moment: here, in the living room and in the kitchen as well. Is it good?
Mother: Not, really, Molly. You’re quite right. We need to think it over how to reduce the amount of electricity we use every day. Where do you see the way out of the problem, Molly?
Molly: Let’s think and discuss this problem together.
When we want to give advice to somebody about something, we can use
In my opinion…
Would it be possible…?
It would be better (to) …
Do you mind if I … (switch off the light)?
3. You are going to read the recommendations on how to reduce the household waste. Use a dictionary to know the meaning of the words from the Vocabulary File.
• a compact fluorescent bulb • a full load • to require • to turn up • to switch on/off • to toss • trash • online trading • a community • to donate • a cleaning spray •
4. Look at the pictures and read the leaflet. Match the pictures (A-N) with the recommendations given (1-14). Say which of these recommendations you follow in your everyday life.
How to Reduce the Household Waste
One person can make a difference and help the environment. There are many simple things you can do in your daily life — what you eat, what you drive, how you build your home — that can have an effect on your close surrounding, and on the places as far away as Antarctica. Here is a list of a few things that you can do to make a difference.
1. Use compact fluorescent bulbs.
2. Run your dishwasher only with a full load.
3. Use recycled paper.
4. Take shorter showers.
5. Buy locally and reduce the amount of energy required to drive your products to your store.
6. Buy minimally packaged goods.
7. Plant a tree.
8. Start using a reusable water bottle and just say ‘no’ to plastic!
9. Put on warmer clothes instead of turning up the heat in your home.
10. Air-dry your clothes.
11. Buy organic food.
12. Bring cloth bags to the market.
13. Turn off your computer when not in use.
14. Think before you toss your trash. It may be another person’s treasure. Online trading allows you to trade items of all kinds with other people in your community. You can also donate used goods to local charities.
5. You’ve seen your friend throwing away too much household waste. Give him/her advice on how to reduce the household waste. Use the information from the leaflet above and the structures: You’d better…; It would be better (to)… Etc.
A: You’d better buy whole foods that don’t come with packaging.
Speak in class. Talk about your experience. Say what you do to reduce the household waste.
I try to buy household products such as hand soap and cleaning sprays in large containers of each product instead of many small containers. I always switch off the computer if I don’t work on it. Etc.
7. Write what decisions you think the children and their mother (Ex. 2) have come up with. Start like this:
1. We’d better …. .
2. It would be better to …. .
3. …. .