Підручник Англійська мова (9-й рік навчання) - Алла Несвіт - Генеза 2017 рік
Unit 3 Environment and Greener Living
Lesson 10. What is Our Environment Like?
1. Work in groups. Carry out a local environment study of one of the following areas:
• your own home area (your street, for example);
• your school grounds;
• the area around your school.
a) To assess the quality of the environment use the suggested Environmental Record Sheet on p. 86. Copy it into your exercise book and complete it. Add sketches and short written descriptions wherever you can. (If you are studying your home area, choose the place which is quite typical.)
b) Having completed your study, write a short report, including the following:
1. A brief description of the area that you studied.
2. How you conducted your study.
3. Any problems that you came across.
4. The results of your study (include a copy of your Environmental Record Sheet and any sketches that you made).
5. A brief description of your results.
6. Suggestions for ways of improving the environment that you studied.
2. Copy the Environmental Record Sheet on a separate sheet of paper. Use it while doing the project. Make your observations and give a value of between 5 and 0 (where 5 is excellent and 0 is poor) to every item in the chart. Add all your values, write down the descriptions and the total score at the end of the sheet.
Environmental Record Sheet
1. Litter on the ground (look for sweet wrappings, drink cans etc.)
No litter Lots of litter Value 5 4 3 2 1 0
Description of litter
2. State of buildings/gardens (look at paintwork, cracks etc.)
Attractive Unattractive Value 5 4 3 2 1 0
Description of buildings/gardens
3. State of road/pavement (look for uneven pavement, potholes in the road etc.)
Excellent Poor Value 5 4 3 2 1 0
Description of road/pavement
4. Noise pollution. (Is it a noisy area?)
Quiet Noisy Value 5 4 3 2 1 0
Description of noise pollution (what’s causing the noise?)
5. Overhead wires and cables (look upwards for telephone wires, etc.)
No wires Lots of wires Value 5 4 3 2 1 0
6. Traffic flow (how much traffic is there on the road?)
Very busy No traffic Value 5 4 3 2 1 0
Description of traffic (cars, lorries, etc.)
7. ’Feel’ of the area
Friendly/Pleasant Unfriendly Value 5 4 3 2 1 0
8. Bright/Open Dull/Enclosed Value 5 4 3 2 1 0
9. Green areas (grass, trees, etc.)
Lots of green areas No green areas Value 5 4 3 2 1 0 Description of green areas
10. Smell (Does the air smell fresh or dirty?)
Fresh Smelly Value 5 4 3 2 1 0
Description of smell (car exhaust, industry?)
___Total score: ___ /50
3. Draw a poster «Be a Friend to Your School Environment» or «Let’s Make Our School a Healthier Place To Be». Write information and make a short presentation.