Підручник Англійська мова (9-й рік навчання) - Алла Несвіт - Генеза 2017 рік
Unit 4 Science Magic
Lesson 5-6. Is Life Possible Without Computers?
1. Look at the advertisement on p. 103. Find the key words and answer the questions.
1. What kind of exhibition is it?
2. What products are being advertised?
3. Why is it good to visit the exhibition?
4. How long does the exhibition last?
5. Who is invited?
6. What do you have to do to participate in the conference?
YOUTH & TECHNOLOGY’ ___
28th Midyear Conference & Exhibition
April 15-17, 20 ___
• Youth Centre • Kyiv, Ukraine
Come and visit this year’s Exhibit Hall! You’ll find young inventors offering the newest products on the market today — computer software programmes, mobile telephones, educational services, security systems, robots, and much more.
Plan to attend this special three-day show to acquire the latest knowledge about the issues, products, and services you need to keep your practice profitable and on the cutting edge.
Everyone interested is invited!
To sign up for the conference, please, call 0038-044-2331518.
2. A few children have been interviewed at the exhibition. You’re going to listen to what they say about the use of computers. Check if you know the meaning of the words in the Vocabulary File. Use the dictionary when it is necessary.
• to find information • to play games • to find new friends • to do online shopping • to send and receive emails • to join newsgroups • to download pages with photos, music and video • to share hobbies and interests with newsgroup and chatgroups • to make ‘chat’ friends • to search through the catalogues • to look at digital pictures • to listen to music • to prepare school work • to surf the Internet • to design web pages and programmes •
3. a) Listen and complete the interviews with the words from Ex. 2.
b) Say why the children use computers.
Susan: I’d like to talk about computers as far as daily life goes. The computer means an incredible amount to me because not only I enjoy working on it but
I love making (1) …. friends around the world. We (2) …. our hobbies and interests with each other. My brother and I also spend much time playing (3) …. games and surfing (4) …. I use a computer when I (5) …. a school report or (6) …. information for a project.
David: In my opinion, computer is a critical part of our everyday life. I see the future heading in that direction: where technology advances and more things become automated through computers. Some people say that computers disconnect people, but I don’t think so. I usually (7) …. newsgroups, send and receive (8) …. from my friends. I often (9) …. pages with photos, music and video. There is no need to spend time waiting for the letter to come to your house by post mail. You can write to me: email@example.com
Paul: The computer brings a better quality of life in some respect. You can save your time and to do on-line (10) …. or pay your bills. As for me, I can (11 ) …. web pages and programmes for the computer. My father has taught me to build computers, and so I have a new hobby now. I think that whatever you choose to do in your life, the computer can be a very nice tool to help you. Oh, yes, computers can really do wonders when used properly.
Email Addresses and Internet Addresses
4. Read and study how to read the Internet address correctly.
An email address tells you something about its user. First comes the user’s identifying name, usually the name or nickname, e.g. ‘jtame’. Then follows @, which we read as “at”. Next is the name of the server, e.g. “ukr”. The period is read “dot”. This is followed by an abbreviation for the type of server, e.g. “net”. So, we would read “firstname.lastname@example.org” as “J Tame at U K R dot net”.
An Internet address begins with www (double u double u double u). Next say “dot”. The name or abbreviated name of the organization comes next, e.g. nwf (National Wildlife Foundation), and then comes the type of organization or the country where the organization is located.
5. Read and match the abbreviations with their meanings.
• ua • ru • uk • gov • com • org • edu • net
1. Ukraine - …. .
2. Network - …. .
3. Government - …. .
4. Organization - …. .
5. Education - …. .
6. Commerce - …. .
7. United Kingdom - …. .
8. Russia - …. .
6. Work in pairs. Take turns to practise reading and writing email addresses.
7. Read the dialogues. Then report the sentences in the past. Make all necessary changes.
True Computer Tech Support Calls
Tech support: Are you sure you used the right password?
Customer: Yes, I’m sure. I saw my colleague do it.
Tech support: Can you tell me what the password was?
Customer: Five stars.
Customer: I have a huge problem. A friend has placed a screen saver on my computer, but every time I move the mouse, it disappears.
Tech Support: “OK, in the bottom left of the screen, can you see the ‘OK’ button displayed?”
Customer: “Wow! How can you see my screen from there?”
Advisor: You have Spyware on your machine which is causing the problem.
Customer: Spyware? Can they see me getting dressed through the monitor?
8. Speak in class. Do you use computer and the Internet? If not, would you like to? Which of these things do you do or would like to do? Use the words from the Vocabulary File to Ex. 2, p. 103.
9. Read and act out the situation.
Many people think that the Internet threatens the moral upbringing of teenagers.
• Agree or disagree with the statement.
• Say when the Internet may be useful.
• Speak about your or your friend’s communication through the Internet.
10. Some young people get “addicted” to the computers. They live in the virtual world of computer games, chat rooms, the Internet, etc. instead of living in the world of real human experience and communication. What’s your opinion about this?
Write a short essay. Include the following:
• why more and more people use computers nowadays;
• point out if computers actually make our life easier;
• what you use computer for (if you don’t have a computer, state what you would use computer for if you had one);
• why you think teenagers are greatly attracted by computers;
• state where you see the right balance between the virtual reality and real communication.
This is the title of your essay:
Modern World: Virtual Reality or Real Communication?