Підручник Англійська мова (9-й рік навчання) - Алла Несвіт - Генеза 2017 рік
Unit 4 Science Magic
Lesson 9. Absurd Inventions!
1. a) Look at the pictures. Listen to Tom talking about one of the real patent absurd inventions1. What invention is he talking about?
b) Say what invention you would like to try. Why?
1 All inventions hold real USA patents.
2. Read the advertisements for two absurd inventions. Answer the questions.
1. What sentences are written to attract the reader’s interest in the product?
2. What details are included by the designer to develop the reader’s interest in the product?
3. What phrase creates a desire for the product?
US Patent Issued in 1989
So, you’re all grown up and you still don’t know how to roller skate? The Western Skater will give you the support and confidence you need to take that giant first step. As the inventor puts it, «the vehicle permits a beginner skater to train for a long time and in a relatively safe manner…» Now you can become the cowboy on roller skates you always dreamed of as a kid!
US Patent Issued In 1992
Most dogs don’t mind going out in the rain, but if little Madison Windsor of Belmont the Third just put his wonderful coat on, well we couldn’t have him getting wet now, could we? So it’s time to clamp him into the fully draped, doggone dazzling, Doggie Umbrella. It features air holes in the front so he won’t fog up his personal pup tent and if your dog likes attention, he’s going to be very happy wearing this geek chic.
Buy now and make your dog happy even on a rainy day!
3. Work in groups. Think of a product that would appeal to some or all people one day. This can be any idea even if you think it’s quite absurd. Draw a picture.
4. a) Read the information.
Advertisements try to persuade people to do something. For example, to buy things. They are often successful. To write an effective ad you should follow the guidelines given below.
1. Think of the features to attract the reader’s interest.
2. Think of the details to develop the reader’s interest in the product.
3. Write a phrase to create a desire for the product (for example, write about the sale price).
b) Design an ad for your product. Follow the writing tips given on p. 111 and write a plan for your advertisement. What details would you like to include?
Our product is … .
It will appeal to …. (target customers).
To attract the reader’s attention, we will …. .
To create the reader’s interest in the product, we will …. .
To develop the reader’s desire to own the product, we will …. .
To urge the reader to purchase the product, we will …. .
5. Gallery Walk. Share your ideas with another group. Ask each other questions to get more information about the product.