Підручник Англійська мова (9-й рік навчання) - Алла Несвіт - Генеза 2017 рік
Unit 6 Information Magic: Radio and TV
Lessons 5-6. My Favourite TV Programme
1. You are going to listen to the text about the first television programmes for children in the USA. Look at the photos before you listen to the text. Try to guess the answers to the following questions.
1. Do you know when the first programmes for children were broadcast in the USA?
2. What kind of programmes were they?
2. Listen to the text and choose the correct item to complete the sentences.
1. The American Broadcasting Company first aired on August 19, 1950.
a) soap operas
b) Saturday morning television shows for children
c) TV news
2. The first …. to perform for television was Burr Tillstrom, who broadcast live from the New York World’s Fair in 1939.
a) news presenter
b) host of the show
c) children’s entertainer
3. At the beginning the network offered … per week.
a) just two hours of programming
b) only three hours of news
c) two days of programming
4. Children’s television developed… during the early years.
5. The Columbia Broadcasting System began airing in 1955.
a) quiz shows for children
b) films for children
c) animated cartoons
6. Beginning in the early 1960s, networks broadcast cartoons
a) on weekend mornings
b) every day
c) in the evenings
3. Look through the Oprah Winfrey Show title card. Answer the questions given below.
1. What kind of programme was The Oprah Winfrey Show?
2. Who was it created by?
3. Who was starring in the show?
4. What country was a home of the show?
5. How long was the show on?
6. When did the show start?
The Oprah Winfrey Show Title Card
Country of origin
September 8, 1986 - 2011
4. Read the article about The Oprah Winfrey Show. Five sentences have been removed from the text. Put the sentences (A-F) into the correct gaps (1-5). There is one sentence, which you don’t need.
A Oprah eventually transformed her series into a more positive, spiritually uplifting experience marked by book clubs, celebrity interviews, self-improvement segments, and philanthropic forays into the world events.
B becoming one of the first nationally-syndicated daytime talk shows to do so.
C But in a 2007 interview with Larry King, Oprah said that in 2011 she did not want to renew her contract, thus ending the show.
D Winfrey interviewed a lot of political and public figures during the past twenty years.
E The TV programme was the highest-rated talk show in the American television history.
F It made the top 50 of TV Guide’s countdown of the greatest American shows of all time in 2002.
Oprah Winfrey* Show
The Oprah Winfrey Show (often simply referred to as Oprah) was a United States syndicated talk show, hosted and produced by its namesake Oprah Winfrey.
It was the longest-running daytime television talk show in the United States, having run since September 8, 1986. The show was renewed through 2011.
Oprah was included in Time magazine’s shortlist of the best television series of the twentieth century in 1998.
The show was highly influential, especially with women, and many of its topics penetrate into American pop-cultural consciousness. While early episodes of the show explored social issues,
The show began broadcasting in High Definition beginning with its 2008-2009 season premiere episode on September 8, 2008,
That season premiere was broadcast from Chicago’s Millenium Park and featured over 175 athletes from the U.S. Olympic Team including gold-medalists Michael Phelps, Misty May-Treanor, Kerry Walsh, and Kobe Bryant.
5. Read the tips which will help you to write about your favourite TV or radio programme successfully.
Before you start writing, consider what you want to tell your readers about the film/TV programme/radio programme.
Do you want them to see it? Why?
A programme review usually contains the following elements in the given order:
1) a brief summary of the plot;
2) the aim of the host of the programme;
3) the structure;
4) the assessment.
Start by mentioning what kind of programme it is:
“How to Become a Millionaire’’ is a quiz show.
I watched “Tigers in Danger” wildlife programme.
Say who takes part in the programme, who conducts it, for example:
The famous Ukrainian actors Bohdan Stupka and Olha Sumska were the guests of the programme. The host of the show, Dmytro Gordon, asked them a lot of questions about…
Give the programme background, for example, short biographies of the guests (in a talk show) or the rules of the game (if it is the quiz show) or the short summary of the previous events (if it is a sitcom, a drama or a soap opera).
Say what you liked or disliked in the programme.
Recommend or don’t recommend the viewers/listeners to watch/ listen to the programme. Support this with some evidence.
6. Work individually. Complete the questions with one word. Then listen and check your answers.
1. What’s …. last TV programme you watched ?
2. Was it a TV film, …. was it a talk show?
3. Why did you choose …. watch it?
4. Who did you watch it …. ?
5. What did you think was good …. it?
6. Was there …. you didn’t like?
7. Who was it directed …. ?
8. Who was starring …. the programme?
9. Did you …. a lot of new information?
7. Work in pairs. Discuss the questions of Ex. 6.
8. Think of a programme you have seen recently. Write down a review of this programme. Start like this:
Watching television is …. for me. I am fond of different kinds of TV programmes. I enjoy watching …. (name the programmes that you like). Recently I have seen …. .