Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (9-й рік навчання) - Л.І. Морська - Астон 2017 рік
UNIT 3. SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
1. Pair work. Read the titles of podcasts and explain why they may be true.
A: The Internet is a new drug because a lot of people can’t live without e-mails, chatrooms or online shopping.
B: I can say I am an Internet addict. I get furious when there is no Internet connection.
• The Internet is a new drug.
• Relationships suffer because of technology.
• Being online for too long can kill.
• People can get addicted to information.
2. Group work. Discuss the following questions.
• Can science create negative changes in the world? How do you feel about that?
• How will science change the world in the next 100 years?
• What changes would you like to see made to the world by science?
• Do you think that one day science will find a way to make people live forever?
• How have technological advances affected our life?
• Do you think technological advances are always good? Can they sometimes be harmful?
• How have technological advances affected communication/ how we receive news/ education?
Focus on Grammar!
Past Continuous Passive
Past Continuous Active
Past Continuous Passive
was/were being done
Eg. I was photocopying a report when you phoned. Researchers were developing a new cure.
A report was being copied (by me) when you phoned. A new cure was being developed by researchers.
3. Rewrite the sentences in the Passive Voice. There is a model to help you.
We were talking about Francis. — Francis was being talked about.
1. He was playing the guitar.
2. She was watching a film.
3. I was repairing their bikes.
4. They were not eating dinner.
5. We were not painting the gate.
6. You were not driving him home.
7. He was not feeding the dogs.
8. Was she reading these lines?
9. Were they carrying bags?
Exam Skill Builder
4. Read an example essay and then answer the questions after it.
Most people cannot imagine their lives without computers and especially the Internet. However, recently, there has been a lot of discussion about the good and bad sides of this technological invention.
First of all, the Internet has revolutionized the way we communicate, study and work. As for communication, we can e-mail each other, chat in chat rooms or use messaging services to communicate faster. The Internet has allowed most people in the world to keep in touch with their friends and families in other countries. It also helps business people to run multinational companies and to buy or sell products. Secondly, we can find the information we are looking for or read the latest news at the click of a mouse. The Internet has made it possible for people to study using distance learning methods. Students can study at home, send their work through the net and communicate with their tutor hundreds of kilometres away!
On the other hand, the Internet, as many people claim, has stopped people from meeting each other face to face.
Furthermore, the Internet allows people to assume different identities so when you meet someone on the Net you cannot be sure of who that person really is. Dishonest people use the Internet to cheat and con others, often innocent children or youngsters. Finally, the Internet can be addictive. There are already too many people who spend most of their time in front of their computer screens.
To sum up, the Internet, like most modern technologies. will remain a controversial issue. Some people will always see it as beneficial while others will consider it antisocial.
1. Is the language used formal or informal?
2. There are four paragraphs in the essay. What is the function of each paragraph? Match each paragraph with its function: a) arguments for; b) arguments against; c) introduction; d) conclusion.
3. What do the underlined words mean? Why were they used in this essay?
5. Use the prompts below to speak about the advantages and disadvantages of technologies.
The more people use technology, the less they communicate.
Too much information, no time to think.
Technology helps you to keep up-to-date.
Communicating through technology is impersonal.
You can always keep in touch with your friends.
Technology lets you use language in new ways.
Emoticons and texting are killing language.
6. Use the ideas from exercise 5 and the underlined phrases from exercise 4 and write an essay on the positive and negative issues about technologies (for example, mobile phones).
7. Write an essay on one of the following topics.
1. Advantages and disadvantages of plane travel.
2. Advantages and disadvantages of shopping online.
3. Advantages and disadvantages of distance education.