Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - Т. І. Бондар - Методика Паблішинг 2017 рік
Unit 2 School prepares me for my future
Language 3: The past perfect
The past perfect expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past.
[had + past participle]
1. A date
Read the story and find die examples of die past perfect
Last weekend, Mark and Trisha went on a date. Mark took Trisha to the golf course.
Mark loved to golf. He had learned to golf as a child. He had even played on a team in his childhood.
Before that day, Trisha had never golfed.
She didn’t know how to hold the golf club.
She didn’t know the rules.
Mark taught Trisha how to play. After Trisha had learned the basics, she hit the ball. It was a good hit. Mark had taught Trisha well.
2. Let's practice
Rewrite die following sentences as negative or positive sentences, yes/no questions, WH-quesdons (using the underlined word or phrase) and tag questions.
Examples for the sentence “Brett had finished his task before lunch.”
Negative: Brett hadn't finished his task before lunch.
Yes/No Question: Had Brett finished his task before lunch?
WH-Question: Who had finished the task before lunch?
Tag question: Brett had finished his task before lunch, hadn't he?
1. He had learned to golf as a child.
2. Before that day, Trisha had never golfed.
3. Mark had taught Trisha well.
Answer the following questions. Use die past perfect tense.
1. What had Mark learned to do as a child?
2. Before that day, had Trisha ever golfed?
3. When did Trisha finally hit her first ball? Had Mark taught her well?
4. Dancing with the stars - DWTS
Last night, Dane and Emily danced in a competition. The danced a salsa dance. They had practiced for 6 months before they had danced in the competition. They were very good.
Dane and Emily's friends were in the audience.
Before that night, they had never seen Dane and Emily dance. Dane and Emily had never danced in front of anyone before the competition.
After everyone had danced, the judges announced the winners. Dane and Emily won. They were the best dancers in the competition. Emily said she had never practiced so hard before. She was glad they had practiced a lot.
a) Answer the following questions. Use the past perfect tense.
1. How long had Dane and Emily practiced before the competition?
2. Before that night, who had seen Dane and Emily dance?
3. What happened after everyone had danced?
b) Rewrite the following sentences as positive or negative sentences, yes/no questions, WH-questions (Using the underlined word or phrase) and tag questions.
1. They had practiced for 6 months.
2. Before that night, they had never seen Dane and Emily dance.
3. They had practiced a lot.
Turn the following sentences into the past perfect
1. They______ (finish) the game before it rained.
2. She_______ (save) her money for two months before she bought the car.
3. I_________ (meet) him before he was my teacher.
4. Tina said she___ (find) my purse in the car.
5. She woke up early because she__ (take) a new job.
7. A story
Complete a story with the verb in the past perfect.
I________ (never/see) such beautiful sights before I visited Paris in 2015.
I_____ (save) money for five years before I booked a trip to Paris. I was very excited. Before my trip to Paris, I (never/be) out of the United States.
When I went to Paris, I spent many days touring the city. The city was big. Sometimes I got lost and asked for directions. I asked for directions in French.
That was easy because I__ (study) French for 2 years before I visited France. By the time I left Paris, I (tour) many beautiful places. The Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame Cathedral were just a few of the places I saw. Before I visited Paris, I___ (see) those places on the Internet.