Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - Т. І. Бондар - Методика Паблішинг 2017 рік
Unit 2 School prepares me for my future
Skills in action's a formal discussion?
1. What's a formal discussion?
Use the picture and the texts and explain to your partner what happens in a formal discussion.
2. Planning a formal discussion
GROUND RULES FOR DISCUSSION
1. We will listen while others are talking.
2. We will cooperate: try to get along with each other.
3. We will listen and think about everyone's ideas.
4. We can ask each other questions to help us to understand everyone's ideas.
Plan a discussion. The skills box can help you.
1. Agree on a statement, for example: “How can volunteers help kids in need?” Use the phrases to help you.
► How about … ?
I think … is a good statement.
I've got a better idea. Let's say, … . Who's for/against… ?
2. Choose a chairperson. What should he/she do and when? Write a list. The phrases can help.
► Welcome the group: Good moming/afternoon/… . Introduce the statement: Our statement is… . Introduce the speakers: … and … will speak for/against it. Ask people to vote: Who is for/against… ?
3. Collect arguments. Use the collage on the opposite page. Write sentences. You can use some of the phrases in the box.
► I think … streets are dangerous because The facts show us that… .
… is/are not the only problem in… . Kids in … are frightened because… .
4. Choose some speakers.
They must write down their arguments. They can speak for or against the statement.
►I agree/don't agree with… .
In my opinion… .
You say that…. I think that's a prejudice.
That isn't true for… .