Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - Т. І. Бондар - Методика Паблішинг 2017 рік
Unit 4 Discover books and theater
Overheard Let's listen: Edgar Allan Poe
1. Let's listen: Edgar Allan Poe
a) Before you listen: Work with your partner and discuss EA Poe's life facts.
b) Read the incomplete sentences, then listen to the story and complete the gaps.
1. He wrote horror, poetry, criticism, fiction__ .
2. E.A. Poe was called by many____________ .
3. He was writing poetry when he was about .
4. He worked_________ .
5. He settled down in___________ .
6. His primary occupation was a___________ .
7. He had a reputation for being a harsh_____ .
8. During his life time he barely made his____ from his writing.
2. Let's listen: Mark Twain
Listen to the facts from Mark Twain's biography and choose the correct word to complete the information.
1. He grew up in the frontier village of Hannibal, Missouri, hard on the banks of the
a) Missouri River.
b) Mississippi River.
c) Colorado River.
2. Like Mark Twain, Tom Sayer is a
3. Mark Twain’s plays were to remind adults
a) what they once were themselves.
b) what they wanted to become.
c) what they wanted to achieve.
4. His imagined ideal ended when he was
5. He left school to become a
b) printer’s apprentice.
6. At the age of 22 he grabbed the chance to enact his greatest boyhood dream to be a
c) a steamboat man.
7. In his later writings he presented himself as a
a) charming character.
b) silent assistant.
c) bubbling apprentice.
8. In fact Mark Twain was an extremely skilled
3. Let's listen: Paperback Writer by the Beatles
Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book?
It took me years to write, will you take a look? It's based on a novel by a man named Lear And l need a job, so I want to be a paperback writer (x 2)
It's the dirty story of a dirty man And his clinging wife doesn't understand His son is working for the Daily Mail
It's a steady job but he wants to be a paperback writer Paperback writer (x 2)
It's a thousand pages, give or take a few I'll be writing more in a week or two I can make it longer if you like the style I can change it round and I want to be a paperback writer (x 2)