Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - Т. І. Бондар - Методика Паблішинг 2017 рік
Unit 6 Exploring the world
Let's listen: Out and about
1. A big city
a) What do you know about New York City? Start a mind map for your folder. Continue it as you go through the unit.
b) Look at photo 1. What can you see? Describe the photo in two or three sentences. Perhaps your mind map can help you.
2. Let's listen: Out and about
a) Look at all the photos and listen. Where are the people?
b) Talk about all the pictures. Use the words in the box.
► I can see … in the foreground/ background.
There's … on the right/left. There is/are … at the top/ bottom.
Check-in Let's talk: A New York City quiz
DID YOU KNOW?
• More than 8 million people live in New York City. Over a third of them were born outside the US.
• New York has five boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island.
• Each borough has neighborhoods. One of the most famous is Chinatown in Manhattan.
• Manhattan has lots of skyscrapers. The Empire State Building was one of the first.
• The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor is a symbol of freedom. A famous island in the harbor is Ellis Island. Millions of immigrants landed there in the past.
• Central Park is the safest public park in the US. It has lakes, playgrounds and lots of fields for ball games.
3. Let's talk: A New York City quiz
a) Read the fact box and write questions for a partner.
b) Close your books and ask and answer questions about New York City (NYC).
How many people live /were bom…?
How many … does New York City have?
What is its name/are their names?
What is the name of/are the names of…?
What happened once/in the past in/on…?
4. For my folder: A skyscraper
a) Find out more about the Empire State Building on the Internet. These questions can help you:
1. When did they build it?
2. How high is it?
3. How many steps has it got?
b) Make a fact file with pictures and present it to your class.