Підручник Англійська мова 9 клас (5-й рік навчання) - Т. І. Бондар - Методика Паблішинг 2017 рік
Unit 7 Home and away
1. High over the canyon
a) What do you know about places in Ukraine?
b) How do you think the people would feel in picture 1? Here are some ideas.
► Wow, isn't the view of… awesome/…!
We travelled so far but I'm so glad we came. When I look down, I feel… .
1. Let's listen: Cherkasy region.
Listen and tick things that are described in the text.
scenery [’si:nri] - the country's natural features, e.g., mountains, deserts, forests
dizzy [’dızi] - unable to stand steadily because you are looking down from a high place
dramatic [drә'mætık] - exciting and impressive
national park [,næʃnl 'pa:k] - the land which is protected by a government because of its beauty
the date of founding • territory • culture • food • population • borders • historical past • fauna • geographic location • climate • rivers • natural resources • sights
Let's talk: More about the photos
DID YOU KNOW?
• Chyhyryn is a city and important historic site located in the Cherkasy Region of central Ukraine.
• Zamkova Gora can tell you many different stories about how Cossacks fought with Turkish and Polish invaders.
• From 1648 to 1669 the city was the Cossacks Hetman capital.
• lllinska Church was built by the order of Bohdan Khmelnytsky in 1653. The church is pictured on one of the paintings by Taras Shevchenko
in 1845. The church is also pictured on 5 hryvnia banknote, which is currently in circulation in Ukraine.
• Chyhyryn is always connected with Bohdan Khmelnytsky who founded his Hetman's residence here.
• Chyhyryn is the most popular national park. It received the national status in 1995.
2. Let's talk: More about the photos
a) Read the fact box. Look at all the photos and their captions. Match the photos with the info in the fact box
b) Which place in the photos do you find interesting? Tell your partner why.
3. For my folder: The central Ukraine
a) Find out more about the place which you chose in exercise 2 from books, brochures or the Internet Use die skills box.
b) Make a poster and present die place to your class.
1. Surf the Internet to find some additional information.
2. Add items to a country, place and topic, e.g. central Ukraine, Chyhyryn, Subotiv.
3. Look at the first 4-5 different websites.
4. You can also search under Images.